Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm freakin hungry!

I am blessed to have the opportunity to participate in this contest. Not only for the training by legend Supermann, but for the camaraderie of my fellow journalists -- newspaper and T.V.
I had to do this. It got to the point where looking in the mirror was downright embarrassing -- even more than usual. Sports have been a significant part of my life since I was able to walk. Playing various sports five and six days a week kept me healthy and happy.
That changed about 4 years ago. My knee popped out of socket in a freak deal and I haven't been the same since -- only because I chose not to be the same. I let the other subsequent injuries (likely caused by my departure from being fit) begin to serve as an excuse for not being an athlete anymore.
Hopefully, Wednesday, the mind-set changed again.
Playing sports, not just writing about them, is what makes me the happiest. I was never bound for Mr. Olympia, nor do I want to be, but I don’t want to continue to avoid athletics due to “injury.” AKA, I'm useless!
Of course, being single and out of shape is no picnic, either.
It’s going to be a long journey for The Times’ trio, but we’re determined to succeed -- no matter who wins the competition.
So after just five days there have been incredible results. I can't disclose the numbers -- I don't want the competition to get an idea of where we're at. Plus, I'm a bit superstitious.
Supermann put me on an immediate cardio/weight plan, but perhaps the most important portion of this two-month contest – although I’m doing this as a life change, not for 60 days – is the eating plan.
Sunday, I started a 7-day Detox plan. No, it’s not Master Cleanse, and apparently much less violent. Two days in, I feel terrific.
It's been just five days since the weigh- in, but my stomach would say it's a darn eternity. No more fried food … ahhh!!!! Raisin Canes was a ritual! No butter???? No white bread, ahh no biggie.
And that’s AFTER the 7-day Detox.
I will post my Detox plan. It sounds pretty darn intimidating. But like I said, so far, so good.
I hope you enjoy our journey to be Fit For Life!

No comments: